Improving Team Performance
When it comes to boosting team performance there is an abundance of advice online. These recommendations often emphasise the importance of trust building, clarifying roles and responsibilities embracing diversity and inclusivity and fostering communication, within the team. While these insights hold value it’s essential to ensure that we address the issues impacting the teams performance. In fact solely focusing on areas that don’t require improvement can actually impede the teams progress.
Why do some teams, on the workfloor consistently improve their performance over time while others struggle to do ?
Team behaviours such as monitoring of performance sharing information supporting each other and actively working on process improvement. Effective team leaders who balance both task oriented and relationship oriented behaviours over time. Support from higher level leaders through face to face assistance, guidance and providing tangible resources. Consistency between the behaviour value patterns of these individuals and their actions over time. Coactive learning by doing as a collective activity pattern among the team members, team leader and higher level leadership.
Qualities of an Ideal Team
An team possesses qualities that set them apart;
- Trustworthiness; The members of the team can always be relied upon to fulfil their commitments consistently.
- Openness; They have a culture of sharing information and ideas while also actively listening to one another.
- Collaboration; Despite differences, in opinions team members work together as equals and celebrate achievements collectively.
- Flexibility; The team embraces adaptability gracefully adjusting plans or approaches when necessary without frustration.
- Respect; Each members opinions and beliefs are respected, fostering an atmosphere within the team.
- Diverse Contributions; Every member brings strengths and skills to the table making for a rounded team.
- Continuous Learning; The team actively seeks opportunities, for both collective growth always striving to improve.
Evaluating Team Performance
When assessing team performance the focus is, on evaluating how the team functions as a whole than just individual contributions. This involves managing team members motivating them and providing feedback on their achievements. The evaluation process begins by setting goals for each team member and assigning tasks that align with these objectives. Effective communication between management and team members plays a role during this phase. Various evaluation methods like checklists, self assessment questionnaires and interviews can be used to measure the effectiveness of the team. Measuring team performance involves assessing factors such as meeting deadlines and the quality of the product. These metrics reflect aspects of teamwork. Are vital in optimizing team dynamics.
Choosing the Right Metrics for Evaluating Teams
Selecting metrics for evaluating teams is essential to gain insights. Here are some tips to help you in selecting metrics;
Relevance; Make sure that the chosen metrics align with behaviours and aspects you want to evaluate so they accurately reflect what truly matters. Meaningfulness; Focus, on metrics that provide information and actionable results by highlighting activities.
Validation; Ensure that the selected metrics have been validated to collect accurate data. Use a number of metrics to avoid collecting data. Focus on one or two indicators that provide insights. Combine data sources, such, as surveys, observations and interviews to gain an understanding of team behaviour. Take into account factors like company layoffs or workspace conditions that can impact team productivity. Seek feedback from perspectives including managers, direct reports and colleagues outside the team to ensure a rounded assessment and avoid groupthink. Implement 360° reviews to identify strengths and weaknesses creating opportunities for improvement.
How to Enhance Team Performance;
- Empower team members by delegating responsibilities that align with their strengths. This fosters trust. Encourage decision making within the team, for problem solving and alignment with goals.
- Avoid tendencies. Give employees space to experiment and grow.
- Communication; Make it a priority to have empathetic communication in order to avoid delays reduce stress and seize opportunities that may otherwise be lost.
- Feedback; Regularly provide feedback to foster working relationships and actively seek feedback from your team members.
- Purpose Driven; Create a sense of purpose by linking efforts, to the organisations mission. The impact it has on society.
- Authenticity; Lead with authenticity as this fosters trust, job satisfaction and positive attitudes towards work.
- Clear Achievable Goals; Establish realistic goals along with a roadmap of tasks.
- Professional Development; Support education and skill enhancement for employees personal growth well as organisational productivity.
- Personal Development; Invest in your development, as a manager to improve your leadership skills and expand your career prospects.
Our collaborative efforts aim to support you and your teams in the ways;
- Identifying Root Causes; We begin by diagnosing and understanding what lies at the core of any performance challenges.
- Enhancing Communication; Effective communication serves as a foundation for improving team performance.
- Cultivating Respect; Building a basis of mutual respect and understanding among team members is vital.
- Nurturing a Culture of Teamwork; Shifting focus towards fostering a culture where teamwork thrives is key, to achieving improvement.
- Establishing Reward Systems; We assist in designing meaningful performance reward systems that motivate and inspire excellence.
- Leveraging Human Assets; Our approach revolves around working closely with your assets – your teams – using a structured business focused strategy aligned with your corporate objectives and future vision.
For more information on how we can assist you and your team contact us for more details.
David Alssema is a Body Language Expert and Motivational Speaker. As a performer in the personal development industry in Australia he has introduced and created new ways to inspire, motivate and develop individuals.
David Alssema started his training career with companies such as Telstra and Optus Communications, and then developed Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP) within workplace training as principal of Paramount Training & Development.
As an author/media consultant on body language and professional development David has influenced workplaces across Australia. He contributes to Media such as The West Australian, ABC Radio, Australian Magazines and other Australia Media Sources.