Creativity is a skill that extends to various aspects of life. Whether you’re having fun with a word game, among friends exploring a hobby like playing an instrument or pursuing a career that requires creative thinking it’s a skill that can greatly enrich your experiences and open up new opportunities. In this article we delve into the concept of creativity. Explore how you can harness its power in your work life.
Ways to Enhance Your Creativity
- Lifelong Learning; Foster your creativity by maintaining curiosity and acquiring skills. Nourish your inquisitiveness. Delve into the wonders of the world.
- Work Driven by Passion; Your passion for what you do can ignite problem solving and inspire ideas. Aligning your work with your passions creates an inventive mindset.
- Take Breaks; While creativity can be nurtured it’s crucial not to overexert yourself. When faced with a block step back change your surroundings and return with perspectives.
- Physical Activity; Engaging in exercise for short periods of time can clear your mind enhance overall brain function and boost creativity.
- Optimal Working Conditions; Discover the work environment that best suits you; whether its mornings, the tranquillity of night-time or following the 9 to 5 routine. Consider factors, like lighting, music preferences and tools that facilitate your flow.
Here are some tips to enhance your creative thinking skills;
- Schedule Dedicated Time; of waiting for inspiration to strike set aside specific time, for creative thinking. This approach helps alleviate the pressure of relying on bursts of inspiration.
- Seek Feedback; Embrace criticism. Seek the insights of trusted co-workers and peers. Their perspectives can provide fuel for your creativity.
- Collaboration; Engage in problem solving with others. Working together can stimulate your creativity and lead to solutions.
To further develop and nurture your thinking skills consider the steps;
- Cultivate Curiosity; Approach challenges with a sense of curiosity viewing complex tasks as intriguing opportunities to learn and grow.
- Embrace Open mindedness; Be open to new ideas and perspectives even in familiar situations. This openness broadens your thinking abilities.
- Explore Diverse Content; Venture into genres and experiences to stimulate fresh thoughts and interests expanding the range of ideas you can draw upon.
- Continuously Strive for Improvement; Regularly examine how things can be enhanced or improved as this mindset often leads to solutions.
- Stimulate Your Brain; Engage in experiences such as adding color to your surroundings or exploring music. These activities can boost creativity by stimulating parts of your brain.
- Observe Others Creativity; Learn from individuals who express their creativity in forms observing their techniques and approaches. Foster
- Teamwork; Collaborate with co-workers exchanging ideas and fostering an environment that nurtures creativity.
- Encourage Daydreaming and Brainstorming; Allow yourself the freedom to let your imagination run wild during periods of daydreaming or brainstorming sessions. These moments often lead to ideas and insights.
Remember also the importance of maintaining a mindset throughout this journey, towards enhancing your thinking skills. To enhance the quality of your work and come up with ideas it is important to maintain a mindset.
There are professions that greatly benefit from thinking. Here are a few examples;
- UX Designer; Crafting user experiences requires problem solving skills and a creative approach.
- PR Manager; Effectively presenting stories to the calls for out of the box thinking and creativity.
- Museum Curator; Combining research with creativity in order to present art in a way to the public.
- Classical Singer; Interpreting compositions with a touch of creativity adds depth and uniqueness.
- Tattoo Artist; Meeting clients needs, by customizing designs through imaginative thinking.
- Lawyer; Problem solving and legal innovation play roles in the practice of law.
By maintaining an outlook and dedicating time to nurture your thinking you can excel in various careers that rely on this valuable skill.
Developing Creativity Skills at Work
Creativity is an asset, in the realm as it brings forth fresh ideas improves efficiency and solves complex problems. While some individuals may naturally have abilities this skill can be. Cultivated it over time.
Creativity refers to the ability to approach tasks and challenges from perspectives by using imagination to generate ideas. It empowers individuals to tackle problems and find approaches to tasks. A creative person perceives things differently recognises patterns and establishes connections that lead to opportunities. Engaging in creativity involves taking risks as it often involves venturing into territories; however it also showcases self motivation and a willingness to explore the unknown.
Benefits of Creative Thinking at Work;
Promoting and fostering creative thinking within the workplace offers numerous advantages, for both companies and their employees. These benefits include;
- Enhanced Employee Attraction and Retention; Companies that encourage creativity tend to attract talent while also retaining their employees since creative environments are stimulating and rewarding.
- Teamwork and Collaboration; In teams there is often a better synergy and collaboration which leads to the development of more innovative solutions.
- Enhanced Productivity and Problem Solving; Creative individuals have a knack, for finding solutions to problems, which contributes to overall productivity.
Examples of Creativity Skills;
There are skills that can be developed to enhance creativity in the workplace;
- Making Connections; Creative people excel at connecting unrelated ideas to solve problems. These connections often happen when the mind is not actively focused on the issue at hand like during breaks or when experiencing environments.
- Asking Questions; Creative thinkers challenge wisdom. Established procedures by frequently questioning why tasks are performed in specific ways. This prompts them to seek methods or procedures.
- Making Observations; Creativity thrives on observation. By studying how people work creative individuals can find inspiration for improving efficiency. Through monitoring product or service usage they identify opportunities for enhancement.
- Networking; Interacting with people from backgrounds exposes individuals to ideas fostering creative thinking by offering fresh perspectives.
- Experimentation; Creativity often involves experimenting and taking risks. Even unconventional ideas are tested in order to uncover solutions. Failures are seen as opportunities, for learning and refinement.
Boosting Your Creativity Skills;
To enhance your try engaging in the following activities and exercises;
- The Circle Challenge; Take a sheet of paper. Draw twenty circles. Set a 30 second timer, for each circle. Transform them into images before the timer runs out. This exercise will help you observe how your thinking evolves over time.
- Use a Sketchpad; Keep a sketchpad handy to quickly jot down or sketch your ideas. This aids, in processing information. Helps you remember details especially during presentations or meetings.
- Reading; Explore fiction novels to immerse yourself in concepts, intricate worlds and captivating characters. Reading stimulates your faculties. This can be done through books or digital apps.
- Journaling; Dedicate some time each day to reflect on your experiences and ideas by writing them down in a journal. This practice encourages thinking and analytical reflection which supports the development of creativity.
- Physical Exercise; Taking care of your mental well being contributes to enhancing thinking abilities. Engage in exercise routines even if its a few times a week as it positively impacts overall well being.
- Exploring New Routes; Challenge yourself by taking routes when going to places. Exploring surroundings exposes you to diverse stimuli that can ignite creativity.
- Music; Listen to music that sparks your creativity. In work environments where there’s an office setup using earbuds and playing tunes that boost creativity can greatly improve your problem solving and innovation skills.
- Exploring New Things; Try out types of foods, experiment, with clothing styles or watch movies that you haven’t seen before. Being open to experiences can help enhance your thinking by fostering a sense of open mindedness and attentiveness.
By including these activities into your routine you can effectively boost your creativity.
Additional Tips to Increase Creativity
Seeking Input on Your Ideas; Creativity goes beyond your thoughts and ideas; it involves including concepts and collaborating with others. To enhance your thinking actively seek feedback or advice on your ideas. When receiving input try to understand and empathise with your co-workers perspective in order to gain an understanding of their viewpoint.
Find Inspiration from Different Industries; When facing challenges within your field consider looking of it for inspiration. There might be answers or ideas from industries that could be applicable to your situation. By leveraging skills such as making connections, observation and problem solving you can adapt strategies from industries to achieve your goals.
Embrace Diversity; Given the opportunity choose team members who have perspectives than yours. Surrounding yourself with people who bring viewpoints can broaden your perspective and inspire innovative approaches in your work.
Make Adjustments to Your Processes; Introduce changes, to the methods you usually use. Experimenting with modifications can lead to insights and spark new creative ideas.
Think about the tasks you consistently do in a way and question the reasoning, behind it. If there isn’t a justification consider adopting an approach. Make changes to your workspace to stimulate ideas and perspectives about your work. This could involve rearranging your office or even moving to a location. If you have options for rearrangement try redecorating. The act of decorating can be an exercise and the change in environment can inspire thinking in your work.
Highlighting your creativity skills is important during your job search even if they are not explicitly required in your industry.
Here are some ways to demonstrate your creativity skills throughout the job search process from crafting your resume to handling interviews;
Incorporate creativity skills into your resume regardless of your job title, level or industry. You can do this by including them within the bullet points under your experience section or creating a skills section. Refer back, to the job description to identify skills that employers are seeking. For instance if problem solving under pressure is emphasised in the job description recall instances where you applied thinking to resolve issues and provide innovative solutions.
Here’s an example of how you can demonstrate your skills on a resume, in a bullet point under your experience;
“I identified opportunities to minimise waste improve ordering processes and build better relationships with vendors. As a result we achieved a 15% increase in revenue.”
If you want to highlight your creativity skills in a section it could look something like this; Skills; problem solving, effectively managing client relationships, attention to detail, proficiency with CRM software.
When it comes to job interviews be prepared for questions that aim to assess your thinking abilities. Here are a few examples;
- Can you share a situation where you had to think in order to solve a problem?
- Could you give an example of a project you were assigned and explain how you approached it?
- Tell us about an experience where you improved an existing process.
Before the interview make sure to have prepared responses, for these questions. Describe how you practically applied your skills and use the STAR method (Situation, Task, Action, Result) when structuring your answers. Also emphasise how your solutions benefited employers. Overall improving your creativity is key to a range of different situations you may face at work. To learn more about the methods and techniques contact our team and we can build a tailored training session to suit your team.
David Alssema is a Body Language Expert and Motivational Speaker. As a performer in the personal development industry in Australia he has introduced and created new ways to inspire, motivate and develop individuals.
David Alssema started his training career with companies such as Telstra and Optus Communications, and then developed Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP) within workplace training as principal of Paramount Training & Development.
As an author/media consultant on body language and professional development David has influenced workplaces across Australia. He contributes to Media such as The West Australian, ABC Radio, Australian Magazines and other Australia Media Sources.